Monday, July 12, 2010

Selodovia, Alaska.



A couple of weekends ago, we went halibut fishing out of Seldovia, AK.
Seldovia is a little town about an hour (by boat) outside of Homer, AK. There's only about three hundred people who call it home. You can only get there via plane and boat.
There's something so romantic about that...

We were there for three nights/four days.
There wasn't any phone service.
I liked it.

There's not a whole lot to do...
Walk around, pet dogs, hit the coffee/ice cream shop, take pictures of pretty flowers...

We found this great little section of the town where the houses were alongside a river and built up on stilts. It was so pretty and different from anything you'd find in the city. I love the way people decorate with old marine wares. I love it even more if moss is growing on it...





Don't you just love these colors?!


Those little blue flowers are forget-me-nots, AK's state flower.
I love how they look like they are growing with the pink ones.


I couldn't get enough of these ranunculus growing through this old fence. Love it.

Alright, so let's move onto the fish part of the trip.
We are allowed two halibut per person per trip.

The first day, the water was lovely and it wasn't raining.
We caught our limit in about an hour. Nothing huge, but we were happy.


Uncle Mark, the Mighty Fisherman.


Our haul the first day.

Frankie got sick the first day, but after he was done, he said he felt better. Grace was out on deck the whole time, bonking fish as Frank and Mark pulled them into the boat. She was a girl on a mission with that bonker. Man, I didn't know she had it in her...


All filleted and ready to be vacuumed packed.

The weather was not nearly as good the second day. The water was really choppy and it was rainy and cold. Frankie and I got sick twice and Grace got sick once. After about an hour of feeling awful and while I was leaning over the boat for the second time, holding on to Frankie, who was also leaning over the boat while Grace was leaning over the OTHER side of the boat and Frank and Mark were both busy pulling fish up, I started to cry a little bit. I pulled it together enough to pathetically ask (beg, really), if we could please go back. Please, please, please take us back. Even though we were two fish shy of our limit, the guys took pity on us and called it a day. I was so grateful to get back to the docks. I was forced to stay out on the back of the boat until we got back to the harbor. By then I was freezing. Grace had gotten sick all in her hair, so she and I took a quick warm shower. After I re-fleeced and wooled myself, I started to feel warm again.
Nothing like summer in Alaska....


Here's the boys at the cleaning station.


The crew.

me, with flowers from my two best kids.
We now have enough halibut to last us until next year.
Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful trip. I love all the beautiful pictures you took. I do love "all the colors"...so cool!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails