Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What's Cooking: Biscotti



So. I don't entirely remember where this recipe came from. I do remember it's from a little book that has a whole bunch of biscotti recipes in, probably entitled, "Biscotti". But since I can't remember, I can't accurately disclose whose recipes this actually is.

But I like it. It's very simple to make; messy, but simple. AND, my favorite part. There's no fat in it. Ha!! Now, I'm not saying these are fat free, per say, I'm just saying you won't find such things as butter or Crisco or oil on the ingredient list. Not bad, right? I think they are excellent dipped in coffee or tea and are great for breakfast or snack time or any time you need a little pick me up.



Biscotti serves yourself!

3/4 c Almonds or Walnuts
3 Eggs
1 t. Vanilla
1/4 t. Almond Extract
2 c. Flour
7/8 c. Sugar (1/8 c Raw sugar) ((I know, right?! Whaaaaa? See below))
1 t. Baking Soda
dash of salt

Place nuts in shallow pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.

In a small bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and almond extract with a whisk. In larger bowl, combine flour, sugar, soda and salt. Add egg mixture and mix until blended. Will be VERY sticky.

Chop cooled nuts and mix in. Divide dough in half, forming two logs about 1/2" thick, 1 1/2" wide and 12" long, spacing them at least 2" apart. (They will not look pretty at this point; don't worry, they bake up beautifully!)

Bake in the middle of a 300 degree oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer from baking sheet to cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing at a 45 degree angle.
(I remember it was at this point in the book that they tell you to put the sliced biscotti back into the oven to make them crispy, I want to say about 3-5 minutes... I like mine slightly chewy, so I skip this step and start eating!)

***As for the sugar, I take a 1 cup dry measuring cup, eye ball it to about three quarters and then add raw sugar on top of that until it looks like there's only 1/8 of a cup left... Very scientific, I know. But I haven't had any problems.



1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I am super excited that I have all the ingredients for this, except the almonds, but I can quickly pick some up. I assume you use whole almonds, not slivers? I can't wait to bake these up! Yummy!
    p.s. I love your recipe postings!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails