Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What's Cooking: Spicy Asparagus

I don't know about you, but sometimes I'll be cooking along and I stop to do a quick food check to make sure I'm on track. It goes something like this, "Okay, meat - check, roasting the oven. Rice - check, seven more minutes. Okay good, I'm in good shape. Ahhhhh, a vegetable! I need a vegetable!". When this happens and depending on what I'm making (and if I was in a similar position the previous night...), I grab the broccoli for a quick steam or the asparagus. I like my asparagus plain. I think it's great that way. However, Frank doesn't agree. Actually, he only eats vegetables because I make him. Much like the kids... But, if I add just one more step to my blanched asparagus, he happily eats it up AND I get credit for serving up something spicy. Really, it's a win-win.

This vegetable dish is fast + easy and is able to satisfy even your spiciest critic.

Spicy Asparagus serves one

Ingredients

8-10 stalks of Asparagus (hold one end of the stalk in each hand and slowly bend in half until the tough, root part of the stalk breaks off. You will be left with the tender, tasty part.)
1/4 t. Dried Red Pepper (or enough until you look at the pan and think, "that ought to teach 'em!) ha ha
2 t. Olive Oil

In a medium size skillet, bring about two inches of water to boil. Add prepared asparagus. Let the asparagus cook in the water for about five minutes. When they look bright green, add another minute. Take out the asparagus and drain the water. Put the skillet back on the heat and add your olive oil and pepper. Swirl the pepper around in the oil just a bit then add the asparagus back to the pan. Toss the asparagus with the oil to coat, reheating for about a minute. Serve.

See! I told you it was fast.




1 comment:

  1. Rob and I are definitly fans of this asparagus recipe! Rob was extremely happy with it! Thanks for the great, quick recipe! I paired it with jasmine rice and teriyaki salmon...delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails