Just because this is a yeast based bread, don't skip it. I have made several different kinds of yeast breads and this one is REALLY easy, dare I say, fool proof... Give it a try. This is fun for kids to help with too. They can be involved in lots of the steps. Especially the messy ones...
Monkey Bread makes one loaf
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus pinch for yeast
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons shortening, plus more for pan and bowl
- 1 package yeast
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Put the warm water and a pinch of sugar in small bowl; sprinkle yeast over top. Stir; let the yeast soften and dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Place shortening, warm milk, sugar, salt, and egg in mixer bowl. Grease Bundt pan and a medium bowl.
- Once yeast is dissolved and foamy, add it to mixer bowl; mix well with dough hook. Slowly add flour. Knead on medium-low 1 minute or by hand 5 minutes. Place in the greased bowl; cover with plastic. Set dough in warm place and let rest 20 minutes.
- Make coating: Put melted butter in a bowl. In another bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts; sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nut mixture in Bundt pan. Cut dough into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll into balls.
- Dip balls in butter, then roll in nut mixture; place in prepared Bundt pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in pan.
- Turn bread out of pan; cool 20 minutes on rack or plate.
- Make icing: In small bowl, stir milk into confectioners' sugar. Drizzle over bread.