Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What's Cooking: Linguine with Fennel, Garlic, and Lemon

I picked up this cooking magazine a few months ago and I love it. It's from Cooks Illustrated (LOVE them!). I found it at Lowe's, of all places. I love that you get a little discount on magazines there. Costco offers a discount too. Makes me feel like I'm pulling one over on The Man.

Anyway, I've made so many great, new things out of it. All the ingredients are available at a regular grocery store (always a plus) and these things are actually ready in 30 minutes. I don't know about you, but I rarely finish something in the time the recipe says it will take. It usually always takes longer for me. But these recipes (at least the ones I've tried) are done and ready 30 minutes or LESS! Excellent.

So the recipe I'm sharing today is good and it's different without being crazy. I like to change things up sometimes when I start to get bored with the same ole, same ole. Here it is.


Linguine with Fennel, Garlic and Lemon serves four

Ingredients

2 Fennel Bulbs, trimmed and sliced thin, plus 1/4 c. chopped fennel fronds
1/4 c. Olive Oil
1/4 c. Water
Salt & Pepper
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 t. Fennel Seed
1 t. Lemon Zest
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 lb. Linguine
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese, grated

Directions

Bring 4 qts. water to boil in large pot. Bring sliced fennel, oil, water, and 1/4 t. salt to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered until fennel is tender, about five minutes.

Remove lid and cook until liquid evaporates, about two minutes. Stir in garlic, fennel seed, and 1/2 t. pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and fennel fronds. Cover and keep warm.

Add pasta and 1 T salt to boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 c. cooking water, drain pasta, and return to pot. Add fennel mixture and Parmesan and toss to combine, adding reserved pasta water as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

It's light and delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails