Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What's Cooking: Alber's Sweet Cornbread


Some people swear Marie Calender's cornbread is THE BEST cornbread on the planet. It is good. And I think it's great you can pick up their mix at pretty much any grocery store, even at Costco. However, I am trying to stay away from mixes; I like the idea of knowing what all the ingredients are that my family is eating. (I'm currently on the hunt for great chocolate cake and yellow cake recipes. If you can suggest a good one, please do! One that's light and fluffy.) So, a long time ago, I tried the recipe on my box of Alber's Cornmeal. It was so good. I mean, so good. When I make cornbread now, I leave the other starches (potatoes, rice, what have you) out of the meal, so we can eat an extra big piece, carb-guilt free. Or at least carb-guilt less...

I make this recipe using all kinds of different pans; square, 9x13, pie plate, bunt pan. Making it in a baking dish requires around 40 minutes, so start it first. If you've planned on making cornbread and forgot to whip it up before you started the rest of the meal (I never do this... ha ha), it cooks in about 15 minutes in a muffin pan. You can still be a dinner hero! Love having that option.

Also, I cut the butter out, just using the oil. Still tastes great. It's been so long since I've made it with butter that I can't really remember the difference, but I'm sure if I was to try them side by side, I'd know. I mean, come on... Who are we kidding?

EVERYTHING tastes better with a little pat of butter, doesn't it?

But I try to reduce where I can. I hope you like it as much as we do.
Frankie is even fooled that it's cake.
Can't beat that!

Alber's Sweet Cornbread serves 12 (sure pal...)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. White or Yellow Corn Meal
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 1/4 c. milk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 c. vegetable oil
  • 3 T. butter or margarine, melted

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.

COMBINE flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and butter in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into prepared baking pan.***

BAKE for 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

***I just make a well in the center of my mixing bowl and add all my wet ingredients, then combine. I'm all about using just the one bowl.

2 comments:

  1. I must try this recipe! Who am I kidding, I must try them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to try this recipe this weekend. I am making chili on Sunday, and what goes better with chili than cornbread! I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails