Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What's Cooking: BBQ Chicken Salad


I LOVE the BBQ Chicken Salad from California Pizza Kitchen. Sadly, there isn't a CPK in Alaska. That has left me needing to re-create my own version at home. It's pretty darn close, in my opinion. Hope you feel the same.

Ingredients makes two entree size salads

3/4 of a head of romaine lettuce
2 Roma tomatoes
1/2 c. jicama, peeled and chopped
1/2 c. jack cheese, shredded
3 T. cilantro, finely chopped
3/4 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 c. frozen corn
2-3 green onions, chopped
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 Chicken breast, chopped (I prefer rotisserie chicken for this because it's so juicy)
BBQ Sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch dressing (don't opt for a bottle ranch dressing; this step is already a short cut. Find the dressing packet in the salad dressing aisle.)
Lime wedges (optional)

I plate this salad up differently than CPK does. That being said, I also order it differently than they offer it on their menu. I always request romaine lettuce instead of the iceberg and I always ask for it to be tossed. Oh, and I ask for them to leave off the tortilla chips.

After I gather all my ingredients on the counter, I put the frozen corn into the biggest bowl I have. I do this first because by the time I'm finished with the rest of the chopping, the corn is thawed enough to not be frozen, but still be chilled. Then the black beans get drained, rinsed and added to the salad. Everything else just gets added in as you go. Next add the dressing. I left off the amount because everyone is different as to how much dressing they like. Remember, you can always add more later. At this point, I toss everything together and plate it up. Lastly, I drizzle BBQ sauce in a zigzag pattern over the entire salad, turn the plate 90 degrees and do it again. I feel like this is the right amount of sauce for the salad without overpowering it. If you're feeling very fancy, add a wedge of lime to your plate.

2 comments:

  1. I love this salad! But I really love the picture you took of the two salads, the one salad in the background and then the upclose. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was really happy with how cool it came out too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails