Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fireweed



This is the weed called Fireweed and grows wild everywhere. It is a tangible way to see time or summer I should say, passing. It sprouts up right away when you get all your planters turned and ready for plants. Then it grows taller and taller until it starts flowering with these pretty bright purple flowers. It stays like this for a few weeks and then the flowers, like dandelions, turn to a fuzzy, cotton like seedy something or other. We call this being "spun out". (Picture to come later) When the Fireweed is spun out, it means summer is on its way out and winter is coming. Quickly.

This summer has been such a drastic difference from last year. Yesterday, Anchorage broke the record, coming in at 80 degrees. Now all you people with AIR CONDITIONING saying, "Cry me a river" take it easy. It's warm. Very warm with no a/c. I'm not really complaining. I have a little bit of a tan. I am wearing clothes that haven't been worn in over a year. I already feel fine with the idea of winter and there's half the summer left. If it started snowing tomorrow, I wouldn't feel jyped. I remember the first autumn leaf I saw last year; August 16th. We were driving through downtown and I noticed it out the window. I beautifully red/orange combo on a birch tree. I wonder when I'll see the change this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails